Follow Swisscom Subscribe to News Network status Contact
Follow Swisscom Subscribe to News Network status Contact

Press release

Extension of the fibre-optic network in the canton of Fribourg: the Competition Commission (Comco) examines the cooperation agreement

Swisscom has decided to enter into a joint venture with the canton of Fribourg and the west Switzerland-based electricity producer and distributor Groupe E. The aim of this venture is to quickly and cost-effectively ensure connection to the fibre-optic network throughout the canton. Swisscom will bear 60% of the necessary investment costs, and the other partners 40%. The contract was submitted to the Competition Commission, which now wishes to examine it in more detail, in autumn 2010. The Competition Commission is expected to reach its decision on the matter by May 2011.
Berne, 04 January 2011

In a move to extend the fibre-optic network throughout the canton of Fribourg, Swisscom, the canton of Fribourg, Groupe E and a number of other partners have decided to enter into a joint venture, with Swisscom bearing 60% of the necessary investment costs, and the other partners 40%. The joint venture will be in charge of planning and awarding construction, maintenance and operating contracts for the new fibre-optic network, which will extend as far as households. The partners are thereby implementing a shared declaration of intent signed approximately 18 months ago with a view to extending the fibre-optic network throughout the canton of Fribourg.

The Competition Commission is examining the concluded agreement

In autumn 2010, the parties involved in the joint venture submitted the contract to the Competition Commission for examination. The Commission now wishes to study the venture in greater detail. The joint extension work is expected to start in mid-2011. The intention is to lay four fibres in each area of use (flat, house or commercial premises), which will guarantee effective competition and non-discriminatory access to the fibre-optic network by other operators. This offer corresponds fully to the conclusions reached by Ofcom and the Competition Commission during their round-table discussion.


Contact us

Address

Swisscom
Media Relations
Alte Tiefenaustrasse 6
3048 Worblaufen

Postal address:
Postfach, CH-3050 Bern
Switzerland

Contact

Tel. +41 58 221 98 04
Fax +41 58 221 81 53
media@swisscom.com

Other contacts